Monday, April 11, 2011

Quote of the Day- April 11, 2011

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. Easily curable
Stupidity is the inability or unwillingness to learn.- Anonymous

This quote was kindly given to me by a Blacksmith at a Renaissance festival that I attended yesterday. He composed it himself and when he spoke it I instantly fell in love with the words. When you think of ignorance, does the word somehow seem bad to you? It isn't of course. As the quote says, ignorance is the lack of knowledge. If you are ignorant of something someone can teach you or you can learn yourself. Usually stupidity comes from pride. Now, let us put these terms into that which can be applied to real people. Pretend you met someone who has given you the impression that they are extremely "dumb". If you think that then you have most likely displayed ignorance. Since I have entered P.E., I have failed at playing nearly every sport presented to me. It is not because I have an inability to learn. It is because I have never played Volleyball, Basketball, Cornhole, or Ping Pong. No one has given me the rules or taught me the techniques. The other kids have played these sports since they were in middle school, but I have never had the privilege to be taught. Some of the kids have been kind enough to teach me, instead of the teacher. My own loving sister helped me this afternoon, as I attempted to throw a volleyball correctly. This is my real life example of ignorance. Now, if I had decided to give up because I had given up hope then that would be called stupidity. I ask you now: what do you think of that person who you once considered to be dumb? At first glance you may be expressing ignorance, but will you let that ignorance turn into stupidity? The other choice is to learn the reason for the other person's behavior instead of treating them as if they are stupid. How would you like to be treated when the time comes?

No comments:

Post a Comment