Friday, April 8, 2011

Quote of the Day- April 8, 2011

I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver-Maya Angelou

I found this neat quote one my way out of school this afternoon. Someone had scrawled it in chalk on the cement of the courtyard. I was intrigued. If only everyone could put such an inspirational quote somewhere that could not be ignored (such as the bathroom doors). Then I would have my work cut out for me. 

Let us start with the verb to give, which is a prominent word in this quote. "Give", according to Random House Dictionary, means "to present voluntarily and without expecting compensation." The word "share" would be a synonym of "give". Have you ever had a dark secret that you didn't want to "share"? If you have then you know that it weighs upon you until you tell someone. Once you do it often liberates you of the guilt that you felt. The ropes that seem to be the only things that keep you from plummeting into the dark water below are chains. You hang until the world grows dark and  your secret of guilt soaks your every thought. Giving up your dark secret, letting go of the chains, liberates you. 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment